Monday, February 27, 2006

Still don't know the meaning of "fartsy"

Look at Llew's blog and "artsy-fartsy" near the top. Then check out Elizabeth's comment 3 at the bottom. I still don't get it. Will someone explain to this blockhead of a mom, grandma, and sister, what "artsy-fartsy" is? I can guess the first part, but hope the second part is better than the obvious.

Ken came home this evening. I expected someone to walk in the door all vibrant, excited, and ready to have a great evening. Instead, I discovered that my sweet husband was worn out and has a swollen right leg twice its normal size. I went immediately to the Justin Pharmacy for a diauretic and skin infection lotion. I am very glad he made it safely. He stopped and visited John for about an hour at his new funeral home. Ken says it is "choice" and had a good visit with John..

Am glad to hear from Brandi, James, and Anna some more. I wondered how long it would take the gate to up on the stairs.

I wonder if Llew and Vonnie will be able to join us at Iron Spring Resort on June 14th and 15th?

Our author today from Alaska was wonderful as a presenter and had lots of experiences to share with the children in our two assemblies from her 11 month 2,500 mile expedition across the Arctic with her 8-dog sled team. Her slides told much more than our students could have ever imagined. By the way, she has not stopped in Bellingham to give a presentation, but did go through on her way from near Anchorage, through Seattle, down to Arizona, over to see us, up to Michigan, and will return home near the end of May.

Please take care of yourselves and your families. Love, linsue

2 comments:

  1. O.K., to the best of my defining ability, although when we played Balderdash here, Steve had the winning meanings, I remember. "Artsy-fartsy" means that the art is there but not quite in a correct palce, as putting art into a restaurant so that it looks like an art museum, or a gallery. Or "pretentiously or affectedly artistic", which is not necessarily bad, but which is jarringly recognizable because of its unexpectedness. Some people might say, a bit of art with a lot of hot air. And, if you type in onto a search engine, there will be pages and pages of examples. So the Old Town Restaurant is a cafe, playground, art gallery, and easy jazz guitar venue all in one, hence, artsy-fartsy. Did we take you and Ken there? Llew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Llew. You are really a wonderful, walking dictionary and thesaurus of current jargon. Well, I am not sure if we have been to the Old Town Restaurant. I have been to the place at Fairhaven where there is a bookstore upstairs and a restaurant downstairs. I have also been to the corner restaurant downtown, but probably not the Old Town Restaurant. James was also wonderful explaining artsy-fartsy to me. He knew, and gave me some good examples. Love, linsue

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.